Thursday, August 5, 2010

Florida International University

Hey everyone, it's getting close to two weeks since we arrived in Miami. In just a few more weeks I will be starting classes and working at FIU and I'm very excited. We've visited campus a few times and so far I really enjoy what I've seen. It's a very pretty campus and the layout works in my favor as all of the buildings I will be using the most are close in proximity. I also thought I would share some of the pictures of the campus that we took from our visits.

This is simply a picture of campus, nothing specific in the picture but it gives you an idea of what it looks like. There are many open green areas as well as several ponds and lakes on campus.







This is my new and temporary home. It's the
Deuxième Maison, the current home of the Political Science and International Relations program. It's one of the older buildings on campus and thus is not that architecturally appealing. Although it does have an interesting feature.





It's an open air building. That's right, there are no doors to get "inside" but rather walkways and even on the upper levels it is still very open. This is the atrium in the middle.

















You can also see the skylight on the right. It does not appear to have any glass in it. I really like it.







Right across the pond from DM will be my new home in November of this year. It's FIU's soon-to-be complete $40 million School of International and Public Affairs building. With the launch of this new building, the SIPA program will seek to achieve accreditation by the prestigious Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs, a feat achieved by only 34 institutions in the world including JFK School of Government at Harvard, the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs at Princeton and the London School of Economics.


This is the Green Library on FIU's campus. It's a massive building and right next to both the SIPA and DM buildings. I'm sure I will spend a good deal of time here as well.















The wildlife is right at home on campus as well, some turtles in the pond between DM and SIPA.

No comments:

Post a Comment